Hiking through UNESCO region of Oeschinensee

On our last weekend of our work-cation week in Switzerland, we took a farther and longer hike at Oeschinensee region. Getting there was a more or less a two-hour drive from Lausanne. I had no any idea what to expect on where we were going and I didn’t bother to ask about it because I was certain that everywhere you hike in this country, for sure it would be worth it.

When we arrived at Kandersteg, I was a bit worried because I only wore shorts, I didn’t have proper shoes and bag. And looking at the mountains, most of them were covered with snow and that’s where we were headed. So yeah, I was thinking, I’m f*cked! But what can I do, we were already there and buying gear is again, not an option. So, Carpe Diem!

At the start of the trail, it was already tough because we took a steeper route. And as usual, I was always left behind from the group but I didn’t care. I just enjoyed both the scenery while catching my breath.

We arrived at Oeschinen Lake a few hours later and it was indeed breathtaking. No wonder why the cows in Switzerland are the happiest cows in the world. Lucky species!

After a few minutes of rest, we resumed our hike and it was the start of the more difficult and steeper trail. (If you check the 4th picture below, the last green part at the left was our destination before going back) It was truly challenging that I lost count of how many times I stopped just to catch my breath. But everything went well and we managed to reach at the top and deserved a good cider.

Going downhill was also as hard as uphill. But on the bright side, we already covered half of the trail. Another half more and we’re done plus you have the mountains, lake, cows, goats, sheeps, and waterfalls. What else could you ask for? :3

The plan was to take the cable car on our way to our base but that didn’t happen. We already walked 75% of the trail, for sure we can finish the remaining 25% of it. I was surprised when I saw the mountain coaster at the top station of the cable cars. I first saw it on youtube but I didn’t expect that I would see it in person. For sure, it would have been so much fun but unfortunately, we didn’t have time for that. Besides, there was a long queue of kids going after it. Maybe, next time?

We ended our trip at Interlaken, a cute city that seems like straight out of a movie location. We had dinner there before driving back to Lausanne and called it a day.

 

Papi Piotr with his paparazzi game on.
Papi Piotr with his paparazzi game on.
A station at the foot of the mountain. This place turns into a ski resort during winter.
A station at the foot of the mountain. This place turns into a ski resort during winter.
There were a lot hikers going to the lake, including kids.
There were a lot hikers going to the lake, including kids.
If you were a cow, would you be sad living here?
If you were a cow, would you be sad living here?
Oeschinen Lake
Oeschinen Lake
Going to our 2nd destination.
Going to our 2nd destination.
Yep, it's beautiful but not that easy.
Yep, it’s beautiful but not that easy.
Of course, we deserved it.
Of course, we deserved it.
A restaurant at the top. If you care to know, they get their supplies through a helicopter. ;)
A restaurant at the top. If you care to know, they get their supplies through a helicopter. 😉
Isn't it majestic? :P
Isn’t it majestic? 😛
There were a lot of them along the trail.
There were a lot of them along the trail.
And them. A lot of them blocking our way.
And them. A lot of them blocking our way.
Tomasz
Tomasz
aaannddd... Me. :3
aaannddd… Me. :3
Oeschinen Lake viewed from the top.
Oeschinen Lake viewed from the top.
Pawel and Grzegorz <3 :P
Pawel and Grzegorz <3 😛
A hardworking bee.
A hardworking bee.
Pawel. The struggle is real.
Pawel. The struggle is real.
Another hardworking creature. :D
Another hardworking creature. 😀
And of course, the cows. Happy cows.

 

 

The author J-Boy Cagumbay

Full stack web developer at Batmaid. Native Boholano. Lives in Poland. Loves to Travel. Hobbyist Photographer.

Comments: 4

  1. hoi says:

    hoi

  2. Christine Gayle Bitong says:

    nice kaayo frin.

    • ay, karon pa ko kabantay frin. :3 mas nice pa niya? aw…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *